show up for training

Philippians 2:12 - 13

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you both to will and to work for his good pleasure

Do I expect to become more holy by sitting around doing nothing? Do I expect God to just download patience, or kindness, or self-control into me while I am passive? Training is involved. The bible teaches that God is fully in control, but that we also have responsibility for our actions. We need to show up for training. We need to gather the kindling and ask God ignite it. We need to be like the farmer who does everything he can to prepare the land and then prays for rain.
We are not working FOR our salvation. God does the work IN us and we are just working OUT the results of that.

It is God who gives us the ability to work for Him, but not only that, He gives us the desire to please Him. Begrudging submission does not honour God, but when the Holy Spirit transforms our hearts through the power of the gospel, our deepest desire is to serve and please God.